Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I Love/Hate Snow

I have a love/hate relationship with the fluffy white stuff we call snow. That first snow always brings out a sense of beauty among the hills. I love the feeling of finally being able to go out and enjoy making a giant snowman and making that first snow angel. But at the same time there are always the negatives to snow. The risk of getting injured goes way up. The sidewalks and roads are very slippery. Slipping and falling or sliding and crashing can be two ways to get you injured before the holiday season.
            There are many reasons why I love the snow. Snowmobiling is the main reason I love snow. Getting out and ripping up the fields on the fresh snow is an amazing feeling. The air is so cold yet you are so hot from constantly moving on the snowmobile. Going off jumps and trail riding is so much fun. Whenever it gets cold I can’t wait for that first snowfall. I always strive to be the first one out on our family owned land.
            Another reason I love the snow is all the fun you can have with it. You can go sledding, have snowball fights, build snowmen, and the list goes on and on. Ever since I was little I strive to get the chance to go out and enjoy the fluffy snow. So far this year I have taken full advantage of the snow and played other games like football, capture the flag, and smear the you know what.
            At the same time there are many negatives to snow. That first snow brings horrible driving. As the first snow approaches you should really take time to prepare your car for the weather ahead. You should also relearn your winter driving skills because if you don’t, you will end up in a ditch, in a crash, and possibly dead. This year, my first time driving was horrible. The first time I went out I slid through a stop sign and almost had a horrible crash. I put my car in the ditch to avoid the devastating crash.
            One major negative is shoveling, shoveling, and more shoveling. It doesn’t matter if you’re shoveling the driveway or shoveling the sidewalk. All shoveling is torture and is not fun. First of all it does a number on your back and arms. It doesn’t matter if you’re the fittest person in the world. You will be in a world of hurt the next couple days after shoveling. The worst shoveling is when you are parked on the side of the road and the snow truck plows you in. When I’m in a hurry and my car is stuck in 2 feet of snow, I get really pissed off.
            One of the most annoying parts of snow is that it is wet, cold, and at some time it hurts. A regular pair of shoes on average goes up to about the ankle. If the weather is predicting more than 3 inches of snow you better wear boots otherwise you will have snow in your shoe. This happens to me all the time and is not fun. Playing in the snow gets you all wet too. After a long time of playing in the snow it becomes a nuisance because by then you have gotten snow in your face, in your jacket, and probably in your boots. When it all melts it just makes your clothes wet and very uncomfortable. On occasions you get a blizzard that makes the snow go from east to west and hurts when it hits your face.
            The ultimate worst part of snow is when it all melts. First of all you can’t have the fun that you once had. The other reason is that it is a sloppy mess and makes everyone angry. From stepping in puddles, to making your car all nasty, to flash floods. Melting snow is a mess that creates frowns and angry faces.
            No matter what I will always stay in Wisconsin and deal with the snow. It creates many opportunities to enjoy outdoor activities that you wouldn’t be able to do in states like Florida or California. The positives out way the negatives by far. Even though the summer is way better than the winter, I still enjoy being able to have fun in the snow and get outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment